I could tell you to eat meats, fruits and vegetables to lose weight, but that would be redundant and not explanatory. So what I will explain are the foods you are eating that will not help you lose weight. The way your body looks is eighty percent of your diet. Until you realize that, you will never have success if you focus too much attention on exercising. So lets look at some foods you may consume on a daily basis that are weight lost eliminating:
Wheat and Foods That Act Like It
I believe the consumption of wheat is the number one reason people are overweight and obese.
Foods that contain wheat:
- Flour. This includes white, bread, bran, or brown flour.
- Breads. Unless the label states otherwise, it will contain wheat.
- Bakes goods. Cakes, cookies, pastries, muffins, and other baked goods.
- Pasta. Unless the label states otherwise, it is made with wheat.
- Pizza. Unless it states that its gluten-free, it contains wheat.
- Breaded and battered foods. Food such as fried chicken wings, fish sticks, or any battered vegetables such as fried peppers.
- Cereals. Most cereals if not all, are made from wheat.
- Canned and restaurant soups. Most canned soups contain wheat starch or wheat flour as a thickener.
- Vegetables. Canned or frozen vegetables prepared in a sauce.
- Sauces. Most commercially prepared sauces such as soy sauce, teriyaki, worcestershire and horseradish unless stated otherwise.
- Dips and gravy mixes. These contain wheat thickening agents.
- Ground spices. Curry spices, pie spices and more contain wheat to prevent them from clumping.
- Instant drinks. Drinks like instant coffee, instant tea, and cocoa powder all contain wheat. This also includes malted , powdered and chocolate milk.
- Salad dressing. They contain wheat enriched emulsifiers or stabilizers.
- Meats. Prepared meat patties contain wheat.
- Beer. Wheat is widely used as an ingredient.
- Sweets. Fruit snacks, licorice, chocolate and chewing gum contain wheat.
Whew! You must read the food labels to see if your food contains wheat. There’s no other way around it.
So what makes wheat the enemy of weight lost?
First off, wheat is an appetite stimulant. It makes you want more cookies, more pretzels, pizza, soft drinks,etc. This would also apply to gluten-free foods such as cornstarch, rice starch,potato or tapioca starch.
Wheat also raises blood sugar virtually more than other foods. According to the book “Wheat Belly”, if you keep eating wheat products, your blood sugar will never have a chance to come down to normal, and will become insulin resistant. Also wheat contains gluten which most people can’t digest properly.
Do you know what that means? Either you will put on fat or you will get diabetes.
Of course, you’re going to ask me, ” I thought wheat was good for you?”
The wheat we had 50 years ago is much different from the wheat of today. It is heavily processed and may not be suitable for humans.
Solution: Eliminate wheat from your diet! It improves blood sugar control, and can erase the need for insulin and diabetes medications.
Too much salt in the diet causes the body to retain water. Water helps the body to absorb excess sodium and eventually flush it out. Too much salt can also cause blood pressure to rise. This can result in either hypertension or high blood pressure, which stresses out the cardiovascular system. It also can interfere with digestion, which results in weight gain. The maximum daily recommendations is 2300 mg or 1 teaspoon. People with medical problems need even less.
Solution: Reduce sodium intake, exercise and drink plenty of water on a consistent basis. Read the food labels! That’s what they are there for.
Now, there are other foods that can hamper with losing weight, but I would say these are the two most important ones. Eliminate or reduce your intake of salt and wheat, and watch the pounds fall off!